The origin of workplace safety can be traced down to the labor movement which took place during the Industrial Revolution in Europe back in the 18th century. The union of workers was formed to work towards the welfare of workers during this revolution. They were demanding better working conditions, authorities eventually had to accept the demands put forward by the worker union.
What is Workplace Safety?
It is a combined field related to the safety, health, and welfare of the people at work. It states the strategies & methods that need to be in place to ensure the health and safety of employees inside a workplace.
Employee awareness related to knowledge of basic safety, workplace hazards, risks related to hazards, implementation of hazard preventions, & making sure all the methods, techniques that lead to a safer environment are included in it.
It also includes safety rules & regulations that are designed mostly on the basis of existing government policies. To ensure the safety of people every organization puts in place a number of safety rules & regulations.
Workplace safety – it is all about adding a full stop to injuries & sickness to employees in the workplace. Hence, safeguarding the assets and health & life of the employees.
Let us now see what the Need for Workplace Safety is.
Before interpreting various aspects of workplace safety and it is better to know the reasons for ensuring safety in life.
Say no to Accidents
Accidents are the result of recklessness and lack of responsibility. If we do not follow required safety norms we will definitely end up getting injured or even end up in a Mortuary. It is true with regard to our home and workplace alike.
To Stay Healthy and Energetic
We should maintain a healthy food habit, which is itself a safety measure; helps to keep us healthy and lively for work at home and in workplaces.
Have Longevity in Life
Taking care of ourselves wherever we are and of others for leading a safe and meaningful life.
Create Public Awareness
The promotion of safety norms everywhere creates public awareness and discipline. It is true for the workplaces and motivates new employees to take up safety measures necessary for their safety.
Avoid loss of Property and Life
The basic aim of safety measures is to prevent the occurrences of mishaps and hazards that sometimes cause heavy loss of life and property.
Devise Planning for Safety
The need for safety paves the way for devising effective planning for the all-around safety of employees in an organization.
What are the Basic Objectives of Workplace Safety
Listed the basic objectives of workplace safety are as follows −
- Preservation of and assistance for employees’ or workers’ health and well-being
- Enhancing the workability of employees by ensuring a safe and congenial work environment
- Growth of the organization that remains free from prospective hazards and mishaps
- Encouraging a favorable social climate in the organization that motivates the employees to work efficiently towards organizational progress and prosperity
- Secure the health and safety of workers and the workplace by eliminating or minimizing risks
- Achieve higher productivity among the employees by providing a safe and secure environment
- Focus on employees’ safety and health arising from chemicals and hazardous elements used at workplaces.
In the next blog, we’ll see the importance & planning of workplace safety.
That’s all for now. See you in the next blog.